LLTI Archives

March 2004, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:29:39 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Chris Meyer <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:43:57 -0500
>From: Chris Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7454.10 LAME encoder (was: Recording MP3 sound)

Had Windows Media Player been updated on the Windows 98 machines (the ones
that had neither Sound Forge nor LAME)? If not, then since it worked all
right on Windows 2k and XP I would suspect an old version of the WMP mp3
decoder as being the culprit. I've seen one or two things on forums saying
that the WMP mp3 decoder is buggy in some ways, although none from what I
would consider an authoritative source (i.e. they were basically some Joe or
Jane saying "use Winamp instead--Windows Media Player is broken" in about as
many words.)

One of these was in response to someone having a problem where the slider
would move when an mp3 file was opened but no sound would play until he
manually placed the slider bar somewhere. Does that sound like the same problem?

LAME is only an encoder, so having it installed on a system shouldn't matter
for decoding. It's entirely probable, though, that Sound Forge had installed
a more robust mp3 decoder on your system which WMP used instead (assuming
that it really is WMP's decoder that's at fault).

Hope that helped,
-Chris