LLTI Archives

March 2004, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:52:18 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Roberto Perez <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 22:00:03 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Roberto Perez <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7454.9 LAME encoder (was: Recording MP3 sound)

This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the LLTI list
at LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU. If  you simply forward it back to  the list, using a
mail command  that generates "Resent-" fields  (ask your local user  support or
consult  the documentation  of  your mail  program  if in  doubt),  it will  be
distributed  and  the  explanations  you   are  now  reading  will  be  removed
automatically. If on the other hand you edit the contributions you receive into
a digest, you will have to  remove this paragraph manually. Finally, you should
be able  to contact  the author  of this  message by  using the  normal "reply"
function of your mail program.

----------------- Message requiring your approval (26 lines) ------------------
At 04:18 PM 3/19/04, Dr. Jorg Waltje wrote:

>  You need to download
>a special plug-in to create MP3s (the so-called LAME MP3 Encoder Library),

Now that LAME encoder has been brought up, let me ask this: I converted a
number of .wav files to MP3 using Sound Forge with the LAME encoder. The
files played fine in W2000 and WXP computers. They also played fine on the
same computer I'd used to convert them, a W98SE box (obviously, I had
installed Sound Forge and LAME on that system).

This is the thing: on W98 systems where neither Sound Forge nor LAME had
been installed, the files did not play in Media Player, but they did in
Winamp. So my question is: has any of you have had a similar experience
(LAME'd MP3 files not playing in W98)? Do you think LAME has to be
installed on a W98 system for the encoding algorhythms to be recognized? Is
is a problem of MS Media Player? (if that computer had not had Winamp, no
files would have been played...)

Thanks in advance,

Roberto Perez