LLTI Archives

March 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:56:59 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Zachary E. Chandler" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:06:43 -0500 (EST)
>From: "Zachary E. Chandler" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: whiteboard usage

There was a call for ideas on digital whiteboard usage not long ago, and
this is my belated reply.

At Colby we've been using a Mimio whiteboard capture bar to record
handwritten Chinese stroke order. I presented on this topic at last year's
conference with the promise that I'd be sharing content soon.

Now our website is up (mostly). It's lacking documentation for developers
and an "about" page, but if IALLTers want to tool around with our beta
version, it is functional.

http://www.colby.edu/lrc/studio/

Our search engine returns links to quicktime movies that have embedded
audio and text. Its all under a creative commons license so feel free to
rip/mix/burn.

Right now we have clips for about 400 characters, but we want to open it
up to developers - show how we did it, provide tutorials and channels for
contributing, as well as all our source content.

Anyone with a mac will be able to redo a movie we've done, and anyone with
a Mimio (brand) board will be able to make new ones. I am particularly
interested in recruiting help with generating new clips - anyone have a
Mimio board collecting dust and a couple student workers? ... our goal is
2,000 characters.

best,
Zach

Zachary Chandler