LLTI Archives

March 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 13:08:18 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri,  5 Mar 2004 13:37:46 -0500
>From: Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: monthly drop fees for Dish Network feeds via campus cable system

Hi all,

We are contemplating subscribing to a number of foreign language channels
available through DishNetwork. One possible distribution option we are looking
at is pushing them out to dorms, classrooms etc via the campus cable system.

Right now, Dish Network is telling us that if we want to do this, we will have
to pay a monthly drop fee for each distinct campus cable viewer who selects a
channel with Dish Network content. The drop fees are in addition to the annual
subscription fee. They are different for each channel but range from $0.50 per
distinct cable outlet per month to $2.00. It doesn't take higher-level math
skills to figure out that the costs may become prohibitive very quickly.

What I would like to know is if anyone else out there distributes Dish Network
content to their campus cable system (I've found University of Rochester
already), and if so, if you are paying such a drop fee. Dish Network insists
that this is their standard arrangement with educational institutions, but
given what I've seen on the list about them already and the difficulties Duke
technical staff have already had in these negotiations, I would like some
independent information.

Many thanks for any info you can provide.

Best
Samantha Earp
Director, Foreign Language Technology Services<BR>Duke University