LLTI Archives

March 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:50:31 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:54:54 -0600
>From: Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Elementary and Language Technology
>To: [log in to unmask]

Hi all,

I am working with a local group that will be opening a dual language
(Spanish-English) school in the fall. We are in the process of writing grant
proposals and they have asked me to help with the language technology set up
for the K-2 kids. Although I know a fair amount about labs and classrooms in
the college and secondary environment, I am less familiar with elementary
education and what types of general uses they have. For this school they
will be teaching 90% Spanish-10% English in kindergarten and increasing the
amount of English by 10% each year until they are 50%-50%. The only pull out
is for their literacy block where students will be learning literacy in
their first language, either English or Spanish.

For any of you working in elementary schools or familiar with the computing
uses/needs of elementary schools, I would really appreciate your ideas.
Smartboards are already on my radar. Any other technologies and/or software
that you recommend for this level would be great.

Lauren
Lauren Rosen
Collaborative Language Program
University of Wisconsin