LLTI Archives

March 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 15:20:21 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: RE: #7435 Where is region info stored?
>Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:36:38 -0500

To the best of my knowledge, the region information is stored in the
drive's firmware.  There are some programs out there that will flash
your drive's firmware to allow you to re-set the region even after 5
plays, but I think I've heard that they also carry some threat of
damaging the drive or voiding the warranty or somesuch.  (Perhaps
somebody else can confirm or refute that.)  Reformatting the hard
drive, and/or reinstalling the OS, has no affect on a DVD drive's
firmware.

 > >Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 08:34:21 -0800
 > >From: Patrick Foster <[log in to unmask]>
 > >Subject: Where is region info stored?
 > >To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
 >
 >Does anyone know where the region information on a computer with a
 >DVD drive is stored? As I understand it, one is allotted a number of
 >changes in the region code before it "locks". Is that information
 >stored in some sort of non-volatile RAM in the drive or on the
 >computer's hard drive? Would a re-format and re-install of the OS let
 >you start over?
 >
 >Thanks,
 >
 >Pat
 >--
 >Patrick A. Foster
 >Director, Modern Languages Learning Center
 >http://mllc.ewu.edu
 >Eastern Washington University
 >(509) 359-6002

Jonathan White          Boston University
Technical Coordinator   Center for English Language
617-358-2499            and Orientation Programs
[log in to unmask]          http://www.bu.edu/celop