LLTI Archives

March 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:24:03 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Language Laboratories and Archives

>Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:35:29 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Language Laboratories and Archives <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7430 Is there an archive of FL learning materials using older
tech.?

The University of Chicago's Language Laboratories and Archives is one
such location. We have pedagogical materials dating from the 1930s,
and field recordings that, I believe, are even older than that. We
can play back records (78s and 33-1/3s), open reel material in almost
any speed as well as cassettes, etc. I have often thought that we had
material for a longitudinal study of language teaching methods. Our
archival goal is to, eventually, make everything we can available
digitally (without, of course, destroying the originals!).

Barbara Need
Manager (LLA)