LLTI Archives

February 2004, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:52:08 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Judi Franz <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:33:19 -0800
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judi Franz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7421 transcription - modelling the dictaphone with modern equipment

This message  was originally submitted by  [log in to unmask] to the LLTI  list at
LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU. If you simply forward it back to the list, using a mail
command that generates "Resent-" fields (ask your local user support or consult
the documentation of your mail program if in doubt), it will be distributed and
the explanations you  are now reading will be removed  automatically. If on the
other hand you edit the contributions you  receive into a digest, you will have
to remove this  paragraph manually. Finally, you should be  able to contact the
author  of this  message by  using  the normal  "reply" function  of your  mail
program.

----------------- Message requiring your approval (37 lines) ------------------
I would also be interested to know what's available for digital audio
transcription. I have done a little research and have come up mostly
empty. Last year, we had a department that wanted to transcribe the
audio portion of a videotaped presentation, and we resorted to the
following: digitize the audio, burn it to CD, then make an audio
cassette from the CD so they could use their transcription machine.
We couldn't go direct from video to audio tape because we don't have
a cassette recorder with audio inputs and the sound wasn't clear
enough just playing the video into the condenser mic.

If you can get a clear enough digital recording, you could use speech
recognition software for a first pass at transcription in English,
but I don't know how well that would work for other languages.

Judi

--
Judi Franz, Director
Humanities Instructional Resource Center