LLTI Archives

February 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:21:13 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:12:16 -0600
>To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
>Subject: article on the role of speech speed in aural comprehension skill development
>Disposition-Notification-To: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Return-Receipt-To: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>

This message was  originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to  the LLTI list
at LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU. If  you simply forward it back to  the list, using a
mail command  that generates "Resent-" fields  (ask your local user  support or
consult  the documentation  of  your mail  program  if in  doubt),  it will  be
distributed  and  the  explanations  you   are  now  reading  will  be  removed
automatically. If on the other hand you edit the contributions you receive into
a digest, you will have to  remove this paragraph manually. Finally, you should
be able  to contact  the author  of this  message by  using the  normal "reply"
function of your mail program.

----------------- Message requiring your approval (30 lines) ------------------
Please excuse the cross-posting.

I am hoping someone may be able to help me locate an article I
vaguely remember reading.  Approximately a year ago, I read an
article in either the CALICO or IALLT journals about the role that
speech speed plays in aural comprehension skill development.  If I
remember correctly, the article discussed the idea that
comprehension is affected to a greater degree by the frequency of
pauses than by the speed of speech and (now this next part is very
vague so I apologize if I have the issue completely wrong) that
slowing the speech pattern may, in fact, hinder aural comprehension
skill development.

I am wondering if anyone else can recall this article and if they
would be able to tell me which journal (and volume) it was
published in. I have lent so many of my journals out to colleagues
that I don't seem to have the article currently in my collection,
and I need to locate it.

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.  It is always
greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Deanne Cobb
Language Lab Manager