LLTI Archives

February 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:21:11 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:04:35 -0600
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: transcription - modelling the dictaphone with modern equipment
>Disposition-Notification-To: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Return-Receipt-To: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>

I am digging up a question from the past which I am hoping someone
will have an answer for.  Bruce Parkhurst brought this question up
in 2000, so Bruce, if you are out there (which I know you
occassionally are still), maybe you can let me know what solution
you found.

I am looking for something to model the old dictaphone in the
past, particuarly the ease and hands-free motion of the foot
mechanism (or at least something that will make it easy to
rewind/fast forward without slowing the process too much).  As
well, maybe something that has the capability of slowing the speed
of the speech for linguistical research purposes?

I have had an inquiry from an instructor with the First Nations
University of Canada. Myself being unfamiliar myself with a
dictaphone (yes, yes, I know, a young'un), I would even like some
more information as to what people found were problems with the
technology that they tried as replacements, because I'm bound not
to fully understand the process or miss something important or
unique in the dictaphone's functionalities.

As always, thank you in advance for the assistance.  Every member
of this list is a gem.

Deanne Cobb
Language Lab Manager
Language Resource Centre