LLTI Archives

February 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 15:51:52 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 14:05:08 -0600
>From: "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7388.10 Laptops that don't project? (!)

Carol,

Thanks for starting an interesting discussion. A lot of technical information surfaced, but I'd like to comment that the person with the most egg on their face is probably not you, but the instructor who wasn't able to play the film for the students that day. If the instructor had tested it out beforehand, you could have investigated and provided the clear instructions you wrote (below) before the class ended in disappointment. The only mistake you may have made was giving the instructor the impression that "it works every time, never fail" <grin>, which you assuredly didn't. I think that lab managers should be as proactive as possible to prevent problems. However,  as an instructor as well, I feel that it is primarily my job to provide a successful class, which means I have to do my homework prior to the bell.

David Pankratz
Loyola University Chicago

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/05/04 03:36PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from "Carol Reitan" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 14:39:33 -0800
>From: "Carol Reitan" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7388.9 Laptops that don't project? (!)

Thank you to all who responded. With your help the problem has been
solved. It was a question of lots of people trying many different
things, but not in the right order. Here's what worked on our model of
Toshiba laptop (2430).

1. First project to the big  screen only (it's fn+F5 for our model)
2. Open the WinDVD software first from the Start Menu and Programs
list.
3. Then start the DVD. For some reason, when people just clicked on the
DVD drive icon in "My Computer", it would not start. The software had to
be opened first, and it only worked when accessed from the "All
Programs" area found in the "Start" menu in XP.

Thank you again.

Carol (with egg on face)

_______________________
Carol H. Reitan