LLTI Archives

February 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:39:47 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:12:06 -0800
>Subject: Re: #7404.5 Hindi documents shared between Macs and PCs (!)
>From: Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum <[log in to unmask]>

This message  was originally submitted  by [log in to unmask] to  the LLTI
list at  LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU. If  you simply  forward it  back to  the list,
using  a mail  command that  generates "Resent-"  fields (ask  your local  user
support or consult the documentation of your mail program if in doubt), it will
be  distributed and  the  explanations  you are  now  reading  will be  removed
automatically. If on the other hand you edit the contributions you receive into
a digest, you will have to  remove this paragraph manually. Finally, you should
be able  to contact  the author  of this  message by  using the  normal "reply"
function of your mail program.

----------------- Message requiring your approval (18 lines) ------------------
>> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:27:32 -0700
>> From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>
> It seems likely that the selected font doesn't include the characters that you
> need.  Since Unicode can be used for (theoretically) any language, there is no
> automatic identification between font selection and a specific langauge. I'm
> guessing that one might come with the Devanagari input method, as an optional
> install.

In 10.3, once the Fonts for Additional Languages (selecting the appropriate
fonts, or 'all') have been installed, and Devanagari input method is turned
on, selecting Devanagari as the input method (while using TextEdit, for
example) will cause the font "Devanagari MT" to be selected and all is well.

Bob Majors
Language Learning Center
University of Washington