LLTI Archives

February 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:39:36 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:36:57 -0600
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7414 Dish Network

Here's the link for Dish Latino, Educational Pricing.  I don't know how
one finds this by navigating their website, and certainly not be calling
their phone number.  If you do call a phone number, try anything but
what seems logical (e.g., customer service) to get a real person... then
they can be quite helpful.

We've been using Dish Latino for a while now.  Suddenly they billed us
at the commercial rate of $500.  Oops... finally got hold of someone and
was able to get the educational rate.  Of course, with the special
receiver, etc, it comes to more like $275 a month, but still much
better).

It was easy to install.  We bought some large cinder blocks, made a
sort of roof top (flat roof) platform, anchored the disk the the
platform and aimed, tuned, and used.  We did have to get permissions
from the campus physical plant (to make sure we weren't going to damage
the roof).  They wouldn't let us mount it on an outside wall.

It works well...  Gotta think there's Pacific/Asian programming in your
neck of the woods... er,... ocean!

--- Forwarded Message from Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:20:13 -1000
>From: Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Dish Network
>To: [log in to unmask]

More than 2 years ago the satellite dish on the roof of our building
was
blown down during heavy winds.  The dish itself was not damaged, but
the
cost of remounting the dish was prohibitive.  We had been subscribing
the International Channel, but we cancelled the subscription after we
learned we couldn't remount the dish.  We have been without
international programming ever since.

Recently we have been investigating the Dish Network as an alternative
because of the extensive international programming they offer.  I
noticed several postings regarding Dish Latino so it occurred to me
that
several on this list must be using the Dish Network.  Can you provide
me
with information regarding the arrangement you have with Dish Network
and what kind of subscription account they have for educational
institutions?  I know they have residential and commercial accounts,
but
their website does not provide much info on educational accounts.
What
does it cost?

Because of our location in the middle of the Pacific, some things
readily available on the mainland US are not in Hawaii and this might
be
case here with international programming on Dish Network.
Nevertheless,
several of our instructors would be very happy if we could restore
some
kind of international programming.

Thank you.

Daniel Tom