LLTI Archives

February 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:47:20 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Bridget E. Yaden" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:01:58 -0800 (PST)
>From: "Bridget E. Yaden" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: language interpretation systems
>To: [log in to unmask]

Hello, everyone!

Our development office has asked me to help them make a decision as to
purchasing a language interpretation system for their larger conferences.
I guess they contacted me because I "do" languages and the language lab,
but this isn't for any language course use.

My understanding is these are the kinds of headphone systems used at the
United Nations meetings and other such events - where interpreters are in
the background simultaneously interpreting the speeches and broadcasting
their interpretations over the headsets.

The 2 companies they are considering are LexiconUSA and Centrum Sound
Systems.  Does anyone out there have experience with these or other
systems? What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance - Bridget

Bridget Yaden, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Spanish