LLTI Archives

February 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:20:41 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Ron Skulas <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Ron Skulas <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7406 Language lab director's responsibilities
>Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 16:18:40 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

This message  was originally  submitted by  [log in to unmask] to  the LLTI
list at  LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU. If  you simply  forward it  back to  the list,
using  a mail  command that  generates "Resent-"  fields (ask  your local  user
support or consult the documentation of your mail program if in doubt), it will
be  distributed and  the  explanations  you are  now  reading  will be  removed
automatically. If on the other hand you edit the contributions you receive into
a digest, you will have to  remove this paragraph manually. Finally, you should
be able  to contact  the author  of this  message by  using the  normal "reply"
function of your mail program.

---------------- Message requiring your approval (109 lines) ------------------
The first thing that the director's job should entail is to be the
resident expert on everything from soup-to-nuts on the system, its
capabilities, and most significantly, how to troubleshoot all aspects
of all components.  Any unfamiliar items will be guaranteed to
malfunction at the most critical time possible.  The director is of
course expected to fix all malfunctions on the spot and immediately.
The second thing that the director has to be able to do is teach
faculty how to use the equipment, and advise them on how to integrate
this technology into their pedagogical efforts.  Never mix these two
items up, as it is not the director's job to create blocks of
instruction for the professors.  Ownership of the class needs to remain
firmly in the instructor's hands.

The third thing that the director needs to understand is how to
research and obtain supporting or independent recordings/media/software
for all of the supported languages.  This means being an astute web
surfer, and to be be a liaison with as many publishers/producers as
possible.

Fourth, the director must be a scheduling wizard for classes, training
sessions, down time for maintenance, and unforeseen circumstances that
blow away a carefully crafted schedule/plan.

Ordering supplies (e. g., tapes, cleaning/maintenance supplies, normal
office support items), scheduling student workers or RA's, (or in
larger schools, the full and part-time staff) is also an inherent part
of this job.

Finally, the director must be on very close terms with the equipment
rep, and understand that part of the rep's  job is to ensure that your
questions are answered promptly and accurately, and if necessary, will
visit you ASAP to solve problems.  Assertiveness is key here.

Salary ranges that I have observed run the gambit from the low
$30K-range for smaller centers to $70K plus for larger centers.

That is a bottom line of what is entailed, and would be a good starting
point from which to begin writing your description.

Ron Skulas
Language Learning Center Coordinator
Bowling Green State University

Dr. Ron Skulas