LLTI Archives

February 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 15:51:53 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:06:56 -0700
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7404 Hindi documents shared between Macs and PCs

Unicode is the logical character encoding choice for all foreign
language work on computers.  Mac OS 9 and X handle Unicode well, but
some programs do not.  Particularly, those from Microsoft are a
problem.  MS Word 2001 and v.X don't support Unicode.  We will see if
MS Word 2004, due out in a few months, will finally give MS Word
users on the Mac the Unicode capabilities that the PC versions have
had for years.  AppleWorks is also not Unicode capable.

TextEdit can handle Unicode very nicely, in its RTF mode.  I find the
interface aggravating, in that you change from RTF to Plain Text
modes in the preferences, rather than on a document by document
basis.  Workable, but weird.  Nisus Writer Express is Unicode
capable, and costs $40 on sale, now and then, $60 at full price.
<http://www.nisus.com/Express/>

I have been pleased with Mellel, a nice little word processor that
has better support than most for Hebrew and other right-to-left
writing systems.  It costs $29, or 5 copies for $49.  In either case,
upgrades are free for three years after purchase, which is the most
generous upgrade policy that I know of.  Mellel is evolving rapidly,
and focuses on the needs of academic writers.

So, there are some options.  Mellel, Nisus Writer Express, and
TextEdit can all handle RTF documents.  Nisus can also read and write
in MS Word's .doc format.  MacLink Plus can handle translation
between RTF and .doc, if there is any need for that.

Derek

--On Thursday, February 5, 2004 4:36 PM -0500 LLTI-Editor
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Has anyone successfully shared Hindi text documents between Mac and
> PC?  If so, what software did you use? I'm looking into a few more
> options  but MS Word is definitely out, as is TextEdit and probably
> AppleWorks  (I'm going to try the 6.2.9 version if the thing will
> ever get done  "Gathering Information").

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, MSC03-2100
Ortega Hall Rm 129, 1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]