LLTI Archives

February 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:08:09 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
>> Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:39:12 -0800
>> From: "Carol Reitan" <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Laptops that don't project?
>
> I've just learned that the Toshiba laptops we check out to faculty will
> not project video (from a DVD or web-based video). Apparently they are
> missing some kind of special software that will allow that.
> Does anyone know the generic name of the software
> and/or a brand name that will help us track down what we need?

When you say they 'don't play', what happens? Any error message? DVD as in
DVD-video, or DVD as a storage device for other types of movies?

Multiple possibilities:

Was the laptop mirroring? Did they try turning it off? What was the
resolution etc. of the laptop and projector? Sometimes changing these
settings will allow the video to play. Sometimes it's a horsepower issue.

Missing player, plugin, or improper configuration of helper app, e.g.,
QuickTime Player, Real Player, or (less likely) Windows Media Player.

What operating system?

> (Imagine the wrath of the instructor, having checked out the laptop expressly
> for showing a DVD or some other video clip, having schlepped the laptop to the
> newly wired classroom, made sure the projector cart was there, etc. etc, and
> then not being able to make the video visible for the class? )

It's more effort, and instructors don't always make or have the time, but
testing ahead of time is important.

Bob Majors
Language Learning Center
University of Washington