LLTI Archives

February 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:52:53 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
> Has anyone successfully shared Hindi text documents between Mac and PC?
> If so, what software did you use? I'm looking into a few more options
> but MS Word is definitely out, as is TextEdit and probably AppleWorks
> (I'm going to try the 6.2.9 version if the thing will ever get done
> "Gathering Information").

Is TextEdit out because of feature lack? It will do .rtf, which MS Word
(Win) reads and writes to that (but Word may want to sneak in and convert to
.doc if you're not careful). For a more featured word processor program on
the Mac:

http://www.nisus.com/Express/

which reads and writes to the .doc format, so Word could be used on the PCs.
Or use .rtf and use a number of programs on the PC.

Side note: I often hear people say that program X or Y can't be used because
it is not full-featured enough, and this may be true for some situations,
but I've also seen many students use NisusWriter, Word, etc., as basically a
text editor (and with spell check in some cases). They may occasionally use
some fancy features, but I don't imagine that always is critical for the
language learning process at hand.

The text will be Unicode on both Mac OS X and Windows (2000/XP).

Bob Majors
Language Learning Center
University of Washington