LLTI Archives

February 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 16:36:38 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Herb Martin" <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
> I've had several laptops that project everything and anything
> EXCEPT video, and they've all been SONY laptops (typically
> VAIOs).  The general consensus is that the video card in Sony

My VAIO projects just fine -- this one has been displaying and
projecting ALL DAY long this very day.

Once caveat:  The projector or external video cable and device
must be plugged in and TURNED ON when the VAIO boots and the
"blue key" doesn't seem to be performing the "switch".

Trick:  If the machine is already booted when you turn on or
connect the projector/monitor, you can "hibernate/awake" to
more quickly get the video to turn on IF you are using XP,
Win2000. or other OS that supports hibernation.

> products won't allow for projection on multiple monitors.  So
> you can watch on your laptop, but if you try to switch to an
> external monitor, you'll only get audio & a lovely black
> rectangle where the video clip should be.  I've heard a
> suggestion that this is intentional on Sony's part, since
> they're so connected to the film industry & want to prevent
> any inappropriate use of their products.  Don't know if that
> part is true or not, but it's as likely a reason as anything else!

It's just not true however.  Since this very machine, a VAIO GRV680
does not follow the above "unsupported" description but projects
just fine while showing the LCD screen once you activate it.

Herb Martin