LLTI Archives

February 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 13:15:52 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Jodi Samuels" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Jodi Samuels" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: #7388.6 Laptops that don't project? (!)
>Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:26:51 -0600

------------------
Carol et al,

I just had to chime in when I saw Arjen's comment about Sony projectors that
don't work with his laptop.

I've had several laptops that project everything and anything EXCEPT video,
and they've all been SONY laptops (typically VAIOs).  The general consensus
is that the video card in Sony products won't allow for projection on
multiple monitors.  So you can watch on your laptop, but if you try to
switch to an external monitor, you'll only get audio & a lovely black
rectangle where the video clip should be.  I've heard a suggestion that this
is intentional on Sony's part, since they're so connected to the film
industry & want to prevent any inappropriate use of their products.  Don't
know if that part is true or not, but it's as likely a reason as anything
else!

Anyone else notice this with a certain brand of laptop or projector?

Jodi

Jodi Samuels, Ph.D.
Foreign Language Technologist/AV Services Coordinator
L&S Learning Support Services
UW-Madison

 >Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 22:53:07 +0100
 >To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
 >From: Arjen Florijn <[log in to unmask]>
 >Subject: Re: #7388 Laptops that don't project?

------------------
Carol,
My apologies for making silly suggestions, but sometimes these were more
helpful to me than the expert advice I got.

1 Those laptops do have a DVD-drive not just a CD-drive?
2 Those laptops do have DVD software installed? (Mine has PowerDVD, but
there are a few others.)
3 My laptop does not work with Sony projectors we use in our faculty. It
works with the few Sharps that are available. (So I always ask for a
Sharp.) No one can tell me why; every expert likes to suggest it's my
fault, but so far no one came up with a sound diagnosis, let alone a
solution. So: try to work around the problem instead of solving it.

Good luck,

Arjen