LLTI Archives

February 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:32:32 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Richard Laden" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Richard Laden" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: (ADVTSG) New demo Mac OS X  and Windows versions of LangLab available for downloading
>Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:46:53 -0800

------------------
I'm pleased to inform LLTI readers that E-LangLab, LLC has finally made a
new Mac OS X version downloadable from our site, www.elanglab.com, along
with a PC version that handles sound in a way compatible with the Mac
work-arounds we had to use to overcome deficiencies of Apple's Java. In
other words, a computer of one kind running the LangLab Client module can
communicate with a machine of the other kind running the LangLab Monitor
module. We consider the Mac OS X version a beta version at this point, since
it hasn't yet been extensively tested in regular classroom use, and as such
schools can use it without charge even for real teaching until April 30.
There are Release Notes and a new ReadMe file launched by links on the
second page of our site and included in the download.

On the Mac, our installer will put the LangLab folder in Applications.
Because of the way file permissions are set up on the Mac, some Mac users
may find that if they launch modules by clicking on them within the
Applications/LangLab folder, they won't actually have permission to write a
file in Applications/LangLab; they will encounter the error message "Error
writing audio stream on file." In that case, the user should simply click on
the LangLab folder in Applications and drag it onto the Desktop, thereby
making a copy for the Desktop, then use the modules from the folder on the
Desktop, which solves the problem of permissions. In real use, there won't
be a problem because the files are normally created on a server.

For those of you not familiar with LangLab, our software gives you an
attractive combination of authoring tools, listen-and-record functionality
for students, real-time monitoring, and the ability to insert targeted
feedback at precise spots in students'
recordings, all for a price substantially less than what major competitors
charge.

We encourage you to try these new versions of LangLab, and we look forward
to receiving your feedback on them.

      --Richard Laden
Dr. Richard A. Laden
E-LangLab, LLC