LLTI Archives

February 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:07:57 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Samuels, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: IALLT Digital Exchange
>Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:41:09 -0500
>From: "Samuels, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Greetings IALLT Members!

Many of you already know about our Digital Exchange (DigEx), but for those who do not, as the DigEx Coordinator, I'd like to explain a little about this relatively new service that the organization is offering.

First, we have a server that acts as a repository for digitized materials for foreign language and ESL. This server is accessible to IALLT members. If someone has forwarded this email to you, and you are not an IALLT member, you may join at the organization's website, <http://iallt.org>. Once you've joined, you may request an account by logging onto the server site at <http://ibsen.dartmouth.edu>. After your account is created, you will be able to browse materials. Downloading requires demonstrated proof of permission for you to have these materials, usually in the form of a letter from the publisher of the textbook you are using. We have been in contact with some publishers directly, and our hope is that over time we will be able to provide access to many of the commonly used (and uncommonly used) audio and video programs.

Second, our goal is to act as a repository for member-created materials.  Contributions of original materials from IALLT members are especially welcome. These materials may in fact have nothing to do with textbook publishers' own materials, though they may be designed to complement them.

Our collection changes periodically, and the best way for you to see whether the materials you are looking for are available, or whether they are available in the format you need, is to create an account and log on periodically. If you need something that we are not providing at this time, you might post a message to IALLT's discussion list (a.k.a., LLTI) and if another member has the materials, that person may be willing to work with us or with you directly. Of utmost importance is that we all abide by copyright regulations in this process.

If you have any further questions, or if you have materials you'd be willing to share with other IALLT members, please do not hesitate to contact me. Again, it's [log in to unmask]

I will post a similar, but shorter message like this one to the LLTI listserv on a periodic basis.  In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or suggestions you may have or to volunteer your assistance and support!

Cordially,
Jeff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeffrey D. Samuels
Instructor, Modern Languages and Literatures
Program Coordinator, Thormann International
   Technology and Media Center
Goucher College
1021 Dulaney Valley Road
Baltimore, MD 21204