LLTI Archives

February 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:08:06 EST
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:15:53 -0500
>Subject: Re: #7388 Laptops that don't project?
>From: John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
On Friday, January 30, 2004, at 01:56  PM, "Carol Reitan"
<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:

> I've just learned that the Toshiba laptops we check out to faculty will
> not project video (from a DVD or web-based video). Apparently they are
> missing some kind of special software that will allow that. One of our
> instructors has a less expensive Computerland laptop that will project
> video just fine. Does anyone know the generic name of the software
> and/or a brand name that will help us track down what we need?

1. Does this laptop project everything else okay? PC laptops have a
function key + F key combo that toggles video mirroring on. (The
Function key is usually on the bottom left of the keyboard.) Different
PC manufacturers use different key commands.
2. If DVD projection is the only problem, then it might suffer
insufficient video RAM or the resolution of the projector might be
incompatible with that supported by the laptop. Try using a lower
resolution in the Display control panel (e.g., 800x600).

-John
John de Szendeffy
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph                      617.353.7957
fx                      617.353.6195
lab                     http://www.bu.edu/celop/mll/