LLTI Archives

January 2004, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 04:33:34 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Bill Hogue <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:57:53 -0800 (PST)
>From: Bill Hogue <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7383.4 Sony LLC-5010 boot disk
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Marty wrote:

"That is a CPM 3.5" disk I believe."

Maybe, but I have a Sony ER-1000 analyzer from 1991 that uses "MSX-DOS
1.03" from Microsoft.

This analyzer uses double density (DD) disks (720 kb), not high density
(HD) (1.44 mb) ones.

If the LLC-5510 will write anything (configuration info, for example)
to the disk, and if the drive is a DD not HD one, then it will be
important to use only a DD disk.

The reason is that even if you format a HD disk to 720 kb, the
formatting system will write at the higher HD current and the resulting
disk will be difficult for the target system to change with its lower
current DD-type drive.

If you use a real DD disk, the formatting system will dectect this fact
(the HD disk case has an extra hole) and  it will use the proper
current.

If the LLC-5510 disk really is a CP-M disk, there are utilities
available that will let you use the CP-M format on a DOS system.
"22DISK" comes to mind. There were some CP-M systems that used FDDs
that are not compatible with today's FDDs. I think Sony never used
them, though.

I have not thought about this for a long time.

Bill Hogue