LLTI Archives

January 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:13:00 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Sabine Siekmann" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: Microsoft Proofing Tools and character mix-up
>Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:36:03 -0500
>From: "Sabine Siekmann" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Colleagues,

I am a new member of IALLT and of course the first time I post on this
list, I have a question - I hope you don't mind and can help me out ;-)

I have installed Microsoft Proofing Tools for various languages
(including Chinese) on the computers in the Drop-In Area and strange
things started to happen in Internet Explorer: Some Spanish characters
are displayed as Chinese characters. This is not only annoying, but
causes great problems especially during Blackboard quizzes. When
students enter certain accented characters, they are interpreted as
Chinese characters and naturally their answer is incorrect...

Very strange - I have searches Microsoft's site, but did not come up
with anything.

Any ideas?

I have attached a screen shot taken on a Windows XP computer in the
Spanish yahoo site, in IE 6.0. I have not tried Netscape, sine the
College supports only IE.

Thanks,

Sabine

Sabine Siekmann