LLTI Archives

December 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:15:02 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:46:01 -0700
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To:  Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>,        "Chapman, Daniel" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7362 Multistandard Converting VCRs

------------------
Following the advice of several LLTI-members, we have used the
external converter box with a non-converting multi-standard VCR.  I
have seen the assertion that this combination produces better quality
video than the Samsung, but I have never seen the two choices in the
same room at the same time, so I can't judge.  Our combination gives
very good results.  We have a Sony VCR and the ComWorld CMD-850 video
converter (which the vendor claims is superior to the Tenlab).  We
purchased them from World Gift Center  <www.world-import.com>

This combination approach is a viable option, which might save your
taxpayers a bit of money, given the failure rate that you report with
the Samsung.  Good luck.

Derek

>> Subject: Multistandard Converting VCRs
>> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:01:22 -0600
>> From: "Chapman, Daniel" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> We've recently had a very bad run with the Samsung SV-5000W
> multistandard converting VCR, and have in fact burned through our
> third in two and a half years.

> Third, I am wondering if any of you have a suggestion for
> an alternative.  I have been told by several AV businesses that
> only the Samsung 5000W and 7000W ($400 and $700 respectively) can
> convert any VHS tape to any format.  I understand that there are
> also converting boxes out there (Tenlab) that accept a signal from
> a multistandard (non-converting) VCR and convert the signal into
> the desired video standard, and yet the quality is often noticeably
> degraded as regarding the Samsung version and are expensive (as
> long as they work, the Samsung's actually do a good job of
> converting).

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, MSC03-2100
Ortega Hall Rm 129, 1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]