LLTI Archives

December 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:15:00 EST
--- Forwarded Message from David Herren <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: David Herren <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7362 Multistandard Converting VCRs
>Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:59:22 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
One needs to keep in mind that "medium" use in our professional
application constitutes HEAVY use for any consumer VCR, which the
Samsung models are. Most consumer VCRs are designed with the idea that
they will be used on the order of 4-6 hours a week for a lifetime of
5-6 years. Even "mild" useage in an academic laboratory or smart
classroom context generally consists of 20-25 hours a week. Thus, in
one week, you burn through a full months consumer usage (a 4 to 1
ratio). You're claiming 1 to 1 1/2 years of useage in the academic
context, so I would say you're getting _great_ performance out of your
units. Consumer electronics are rarely designed for a lifespan beyond
5-6 years.

On Dec 19, 2003, at 4:45 PM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> Secondly, I want to warn you all (y'all) that the aforementioned VCR
> is made of plaster or some other substance that degrades after nine
> months of use, and that you may (WILL) develop serious ejection/power
> related problems with medium use over about a year.

/david