LLTI Archives

December 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:45:51 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Chapman, Daniel" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: Multistandard Converting VCRs
>Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:01:22 -0600
>From: "Chapman, Daniel" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Fellow LLTIers,

We've recently had a very bad run with the Samsung SV-5000W multistandard converting VCR, and have in fact burned through our third in two and a half years.  It received minimal use, and was kept fairly clean.  On average, after about nine months or so each of these three VCRs developed serious ejection problems, lost the ability to power on, and began making odd whistling noises.  The Samsung dealership has been notified of this problem, and says that to fix it would take a trip back to the warehouse and $350 or so.

This message to the list has three purposes.  First of all, I wish to vent my rage at Samsung in a way that is socially acceptable and wreaks a minimum amount of damage to surrounding property and coworkers. Secondly, I want to warn you all (y'all) that the aforementioned VCR is made of plaster or some other substance that degrades after nine months of use, and that you may (WILL) develop serious ejection/power related problems with medium use over about a year.  Third, I am wondering if any of you have a suggestion for an alternative.  I have been told by several AV businesses that only the Samsung 5000W and 7000W ($400 and $700 respectively) can convert any VHS tape to any format.  I understand that there are also converting boxes out there (Tenlab) that accept a signal from a multistandard (non-converting) VCR and convert the signal into the desired video standard, and yet the quality is often noticeably degraded as regarding the Samsung version and are expensive (as long as they work, the Samsung's actually do a good job of converting).  There seemed to have been at one point an Aiwa converting VCR that would do all that the Samsungs do, but it has since been discontinued.  Apparently the only other option is a $1600 Panasonic - and I haven't heard of anyone who has actually bought one.

Does anyone out there have any good suggestions for a converting multistandard VCR that will not crap out in a year's time (not just a multistandard PAL-PAL, NTSC-NTSC, SECAM-SECAM VCR, we have plenty of those)?  Do you know of another (reasonably priced) solution?  If so, the taxpayers of the State of Kansas and my frightened coworkers will have you to thank.

Best,

        Dan Chapman
        Assistant Director
        Ermal Garinger Academic Resource Center (EGARC)
        1445 Jayhawk Blvd, Wescoe Hall Room 4069
        The University of Kansas
        Lawrence, KS 66045
        Work:         785/864-4785
        Cell:            785/550-6962
        Fax:            785/864-4298
        EGARC:     <www.ku.edu/~egarc>
        Woher wissen wir, was wir zu wissen glauben?