LLTI Archives

December 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:43:56 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Smartboard Use?
>Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 09:05:53 -0500

Susan Breeyear
Assistant Director, IT
Instructional Technology Center
St. Michael's College
Box C, One Winooski Park
Colchester, VT 05439

802 654-2821

We've been successfully using SmartBoards and Sympodia (the large-scale
version of Smartboard) for a couple of years now.  The language classes use
them in several different ways.  One of the more creative ways was to use
the Smartboard as a backdrop to a "news bureau" in French--students used
RealPlayer sites to project the news video behind them (with the mute on) as
they "read" the news in French to their classmates and annotate the
pertinent items as they are speaking.  That particular instructor also used
the Smartboard to show French DVD's from his computer, and circled important
characters as they appeared.  Another way the equipment was used in a
Spanish class was to project sentences in scrambled order and to have
students come up to the board and physically move the words around.  In ESL,
a landscape scene was projected with a list of vocabulary words pertaining
to items in the landscape.  Students moved the words around on the picture
to match word with image.  We haven't used it in Russian yet, but another
use I saw somewhere was in Chinese, using the SmartBoard to illustrate the
stroke order of Chinese characters.  It's a great piece of technology, and
has practically unlimited uses!

Regards,
Sue
Sue Breeyear, Asst. Director