LLTI Archives

December 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:25:58 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 08:51:06 -0800
>Subject: Re: #7354.4 Recording drills (!)
>From: Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum   <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Regarding file size and quality, unless there are severe storage issues,
and/or network bandwidth constraints (e.g., a student uploading a voice file
through a 56k modem), I'd recommend going for a sample rate that doesn't
appreciably degrade the audio.  With a halfway decent mic at proper distance
and no bad pre-amp distortion, I agree that a SR of 22.05 kHz. (16 bit) does
a fairly good job for evaluating student drills.  Assuming the recording
software allows for it, there is no reason to record in stereo (which
doubles the uncompressed file size).  And as people have pointed out, .mp3
files shrink the file size significantly, in case that is an issue.

Bob Majors
Language Learning Center
University of Washington