LLTI Archives

December 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:43:52 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Dressler, Monika" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #7359 One-copy tape lost, copyright?
>Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:31:20 -0500
>From: "Dressler, Monika" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hi Barbara,

In the   "I'm not a lawyer, but..." category,  I'm personally taking a
much more pragmatic approach to copyright -- especially, since the
Copyright Talk at IALLT last June.  For those of you who haven't read
the article from the talk yet, DO READ IT!!!

"A Principled Approach to Copyright Policymaking", by Susan M.
Kornfield, J.D. Presented June 21, 2003 at The International Association
for Language Learning Technology Conference, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
The PDF is available on the first page of our website:
http://www.umich.edu/~langres/

Given a more liberal understanding, you would indeed be able to replace
the lost/stolen copy. Of course, in your situation, you really can only
safely do what U of Chicago's General Counsel's Office is willing to
protect you on.  On the otherhand, Susan Kornfield strongly encouraged
people to take the information she presented at IALLT and give it to
your local General Counsel.  She's on a crusade and my hero in "Fair Use
Land"!

Moni

Monika R. Dressler, Ph.D.
Director, Language Resource Center