LLTI Archives

November 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:51:47 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
> Now I'm looking at my sound options. Anyone got any suggestions for external
> micing solutions (for a DV camera with a standard 1/8" audio input) that would
> be relatively inexpensive and versatile?

I wrote something up a while back but can get the archives to work.

Without knowing what environments you'll be working in (indoor only?), how
many people, motion acting, etc., and your budget, it's hard to say, but
this might help a bit:

Quality lavaliers ('lapel' mics) when placed correctly, and when actors
don't wear noisy closes or thump their chest (or if you place it in their
hair) work well, but there can be trouble there for the reasons I mention,
plus cables to trip over, and if you use poor quality wireless you add to
your problems.  You probably aren't looking for a boom operator, so shotgun
mics may not be useful unless your talent is still.  PZM (pressure zone)
microphones (Crown, even Radio Shack if you modify the battery supply) work
fairly well for picking up sound in a room -- you will pick up a lot of
ambience, so a deader room works better (or if the mic is close).  Get a
mixer.  If you need to be mobile, Shure brand, or if you always have access
to power, Mackie, Behringer, etc.  Compression/limiting is always nice if
you have it and use it properly.  Make sure you have strain relief on the
little 1/8" cable.  And make sure you have the proper levels throughout the
signal chain -- not too much so as to distort, but not too little to cause
extra noise down the chain by amplifying a too-low signal.

Bob Majors
Language Learning Center
University of Washington