LLTI Archives

November 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:51:48 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Clare Peters" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Clare Peters" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #7348 Video Production Light & Sound
>Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:31:21 -0700

------------------
Hi

I have dealt with a number of education systems who are doing video
production on a budget and it can be done.

For your lighting solutions you may want to consider going to several sets
of 'run of the mill' halogen work lights. They can be bought for reasonable
prices from Wall-Mart or Home Depot and give acceptable lighting for budget
work. If you look for sales you can get them for under $50. I worked with a
teacher in a high school who used 3 - 2 light sets. He hung 2 of the lights
from a low T-bar ceiling as keys and then used the 3 stands to mount the
other 4 lights in various positions to accomplish the fill and background.
He just plugged them in a didn't even bother with a dimmer, I think he did
have to do some gel and filter work with the keys to soften them and keep
them form over powering.

For a sound collection system you want to look at 2 things. First, a mixer.
Second, mics none of which need cost alot.

Mixer - Samson makes a 4 channel mixer that works well and has phantom power
if you need it.
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=66&brandID=2 for
under $200

Mics

One easy solution is a PZM mic or sometimes called a boundary mic Radioshack
has one
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CT
LG%5F007%5F002%5F007%5F001&product%5Fid=33%2D3022 that is $39.

If you want more localised pickup, a shotgun or directional mic on a boom
stand(made out of the pole of a mic stand wrapped with a grip) will do. Or
go to a wired lapel mic.

Any combination of mics can then be mixed and sent to the camera.

Look through these sites and you will find lots of valuable info on
producing video at low cost.
http://www.makeamovie.net/index.html
http://www.casablanca.tv/

Hope that helps a little.