LLTI Archives

November 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:02:21 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:41:33 -0600
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7347 call for lab curriculum ideas

------------------
I feel your pain.  New simply means being able to do things the old way,
with new equipment/facilities.  We went through that too, but not quite
as expensively as you did.

If you're looking for good presenters, I'd contact the IALLT team that
has been putting on the Houghton Miffilin/IALLT workshops.  Start by
contacting LeeAnn Stone, former IALLT President, and the one who's
probably done more in this area than anyone.  Also the one who
coordinates these workshops.  Perhaps they could organize something and
bring it your way by Jan 30.  We've held two of these workshops here and
they're outstanding.

You can find LeeAnn's info at the IALLT consulting page:
http://iallt.org/iallt_services/consulting_services_list.html

--- Forwarded Message from adaer <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:23:07 -0500
>Sender: adaer <[log in to unmask]>
>From: adaer <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: call for lab curriculum ideas

------------------
Dear Fellow Language Lab Directors,

I don't think I'm alone in thinking that many faculty are afraid of
technology. Now I find myself with a brand new Sony digital lab three
years
after I conducted a survey of the faculty. They overwhelming supported
state-of-the-art lab. Ooops! That didn't mean they wanted to teach
there!! So
now $400,000+ later, including a $100,000 federal grant (the project
encompassed a major structural remodeling), faculty are revolting
because the
President and Provost are insisting that they use the room or the FL
Dept. and
College will lose credibility.  Yikes.

Granted, I have a few allies who understand that I haven't built just
an
upgraded audio-lingual lab.  But all believe they need more training in
how to
best utilize the capabilites of the equipment and integrate them into
the
meager 3 contact hours they have with introductory and intermediate
level
students each week. (Students studying Japanese and Chinese have 4
hours/week
and then 90 minutes of required lab.) Faculty rotate classes in the lab

classroom 1 hour/week.  Sort of like a "Best Practices in the Lab" type
of
thing.

Thus our Provost's office is sponsoring a workshop to be held Friday,
January
30, 2004.  I am seeking presenters who could demonstrate communicative
lab
activities.  Could you also please pass this call onto FL and ESL
faculty at
your institution?   You may contact me off the list for more
information.

Thank you in advance.  This list is a lifesaver!

Best regards to all,
Becky

Ms. Rebecca Adae, Coordinator Language Learning Center
State University of New York at New Paltz
75 S. Manheim Blvd., JFT 414
New Paltz, NY 12561-2440 USA
845.257.3609  (fax)845.257.3512
[log in to unmask]  http://www.newpaltz.edu/languagelab