LLTI Archives

November 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:02:19 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Nicole Francine Minnick <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Disposition-Notification-To: Nicole Francine Minnick <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:19:54 -0500
>From: Nicole Francine Minnick <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7343.1 Award

------------------
I guess this means that Otmar won't be receiving the award :)
-Nicole

LLTI-Editor a écrit:
> [...]
>

> ------------------
>  --- Forwarded Message from Pete Smith <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>From:  Pete Smith, University of Texas at Arlington
>>To:  Executive Committee and Board of Directors, IALLT
>>Resolution
>>Insomuch as headsets and ear hygiene have been and are a
>>topic of recent, historical, and prolonged discussion on LLTI;
>>
>>And insomuch as Edmund Dente has brought immeasurable,
>>biological, and antibacterial value to this discussion--a
>>legend in his own mind--and in all of our minds;
>>
>>And insomuch as Ed is the only IALLT member ever to appear on
>>"Jeopardy;"
>>
>>Be it proposed and resolved that the organization initiate a
>>new award:  the "Edmund (Dente) Annual, Recurring, Wise,
>>Intelligent, and Game Show Award," henceforth recognized by
>>its acronym, "The EARWIG Prize."
>>
>>Be it further proposed that this award be granted annually to
>>the member--including student members--who most distinguishes
>>the organization in the area of headset hygiene, bacterial,
>>viral and biological organisms, and the eradication of
>>earwigs and ear wax, including discussion of hygienic wipes.
>>
>>Be it lastly proposed that the first award be granted
>>immediately to Otmar Foelsche, on the agreement that, as LLTI
>>Editor, he does not allow Ed ever to post publicly on this
>>topic.  Ever again.  Forever and ever.  Amen.
>>
>>Respectfully submitted this day, November 17, 2003.
>

> Wow. I'm not sure whether to blush or complain!
> But, in fairness, I must point out that this honor should be shared with our
> old friend Matthew Mattingly, who first alluded to this entomological
> headset connection. I merely expanded
> on his allusion by noting in detail that his reference involved an old Outer
> Limits story in which a dread tropical (or Texan, I guess) strain of
> earwigs, hiding in crevices and folds of bedsheets, pillows and headsets
> crawled at night deep into the ear canals of people unlucky enough to be
> sleeping on those beds or wearing those headsets and deposited their eggs
> where they would pupate, or whatever it is that earwig eggs do, and slowly
> but inexorably make their way through and partake of the nourishment that
> all that wonderful gray matter that lay before them provided.
> The facts that this would take (agonizing) days and that there was no way to
> get them out, except, if I remember correctly, by playing music by Sarah
> Brightman or Yanni, of which there was a short supply in the tropics (and
> Texas,) made for a rather unpleasant few weeks for the unlucky headset
> wearer.
> But I don't want to offend our more delicate readers' sensibilities by
> rehashing the story, so I won't bring it up again, except to note that some
> otherwise upstanding IALTTers, including friend Ursula and Derek had some
> interesting contributions to the thread as well.
> But Pete is right, it's better to let it be and not bring it up again.

Nicole Francine Minnick, Ph.D.
Department of French & Italian
School of Languages, Literatures & Cultures
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742