LLTI Archives

November 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:22:58 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Dente, Ed" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Dente, Ed" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #7343 Award
>Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:04:40 -0500

------------------
 --- Forwarded Message from Pete Smith <[log in to unmask]> ---
> From:  Pete Smith, University of Texas at Arlington
> To:  Executive Committee and Board of Directors, IALLT
> Resolution
> Insomuch as headsets and ear hygiene have been and are a
> topic of recent, historical, and prolonged discussion on LLTI;
>
> And insomuch as Edmund Dente has brought immeasurable,
> biological, and antibacterial value to this discussion--a
> legend in his own mind--and in all of our minds;
>
> And insomuch as Ed is the only IALLT member ever to appear on
> "Jeopardy;"
>
> Be it proposed and resolved that the organization initiate a
> new award:  the "Edmund (Dente) Annual, Recurring, Wise,
> Intelligent, and Game Show Award," henceforth recognized by
> its acronym, "The EARWIG Prize."
>
> Be it further proposed that this award be granted annually to
> the member--including student members--who most distinguishes
> the organization in the area of headset hygiene, bacterial,
> viral and biological organisms, and the eradication of
> earwigs and ear wax, including discussion of hygienic wipes.
>
> Be it lastly proposed that the first award be granted
> immediately to Otmar Foelsche, on the agreement that, as LLTI
> Editor, he does not allow Ed ever to post publicly on this
> topic.  Ever again.  Forever and ever.  Amen.
>
> Respectfully submitted this day, November 17, 2003.

Wow. I'm not sure whether to blush or complain!
But, in fairness, I must point out that this honor should be shared with our
old friend Matthew Mattingly, who first alluded to this entomological
headset connection. I merely expanded
on his allusion by noting in detail that his reference involved an old Outer
Limits story in which a dread tropical (or Texan, I guess) strain of
earwigs, hiding in crevices and folds of bedsheets, pillows and headsets
crawled at night deep into the ear canals of people unlucky enough to be
sleeping on those beds or wearing those headsets and deposited their eggs
where they would pupate, or whatever it is that earwig eggs do, and slowly
but inexorably make their way through and partake of the nourishment that
all that wonderful gray matter that lay before them provided.
The facts that this would take (agonizing) days and that there was no way to
get them out, except, if I remember correctly, by playing music by Sarah
Brightman or Yanni, of which there was a short supply in the tropics (and
Texas,) made for a rather unpleasant few weeks for the unlucky headset
wearer.
But I don't want to offend our more delicate readers' sensibilities by
rehashing the story, so I won't bring it up again, except to note that some
otherwise upstanding IALTTers, including friend Ursula and Derek had some
interesting contributions to the thread as well.
But Pete is right, it's better to let it be and not bring it up again.
Cheers!
Ed