LLTI Archives

November 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:22:53 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Arjen Florijn <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:31:44 +0100
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Arjen Florijn <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7338 Diacriticals/accents with Windows machines

------------------
Henry,

It is possible to change the language settings without changing the
keyboard lay out. That is, one should change the keyboard to English US
international. For German, Dutch, French, Spanish, Finnish this works fine;
accent keys are transformed to 'dead' keys and some other characters are
typed with right-Alt (right-Alt ? = ¿ for example). Languages like Czech
are more of a problem, but you did not mention that one. (Try Microsoft
Visual Keyboard, free download.)
See http://cf.hum.uva.nl/dsphome/Spaans/Caudal/tekens.htm and follow the
links to help provided by Washington State and Oregon University.

Good luck,

Arjen

At 20:04 13-11-2003, you wrote:
>Another question to confirm my position as a not-so-savvy computer guy.
>Accents in French, Spanish, and German are a piece of cake with the Mac OS,
>but with Windows, the only solutions I know are incredibly cumbersome ­ (1)
>the ASCII code combinations, insert symbol, (2) cut and paste from a
>homemade palette of appropriate letter/accent combinations constructed in
>Word, or install the foreign language keyboard utility available from
>Microsoft.  This last sounds like a great idea, but it changes the entire
>layout to French, German or Spanish mode.

NIEUW E-MAILADRES: [log in to unmask]

Arjen Florijn
Leerstoelgroep Tweede-taalverwerving
Spuistraat 210 kr. 311