LLTI Archives

November 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:42:26 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Zachary Chandler <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------

> --- Forwarded Message from Joseph Kautz <[log in to unmask]> ---
>

> Hello.  We have some instructors who record off air broadcasts to VHS for
> use in class.  I am looking for a way to capture these broadcasts
> directly to a HD (e.g. Tivo?) I want to avoid having to digitize the stuff
> from VHS.  Does anyone have suggestions for how to do this?  Joseph

I suggest the Formac TVR (Mac only) - www.formac.com. It has RF in (as well as
RCA) and firewire out. (Be careful not to order the studio dv, which is a
converter only, no RF in.) It comes with software for handling program
scheduling, etc. that is pretty easy to use. You can save as compressed files
(quicktime, IMA 4:1) to make the most of your drive space - or go with
uncompressed if you have gobs of room or if quality is that important. I
started using the device this year, and I'm pretty fond of it. I dump quicktime
files or MPEG-4 onto CD's, after I've had my standard fair use, classroom-only
use conversation with the faculty member. The faculty like the ability to scrub
through the video with the playhead, which you can't do with an disk encoded
for set-top boxes, etc.
I'm not sure if the Formac is the most cost effective solution, but I like
mine.

</2 cents>

Zach