LLTI Archives

November 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:42:11 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Carly J. Born" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:51:47 -0600
>From: "Carly J. Born" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7323 Windows<->Mac Chinese/Japanese WP
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Nisus Writer Express for OS X does read/write Word formatted documents,
but it is still lacking important features, such as tables.  Any
documents that have tables will loose them instantly.

We've been playing with another WP, called Mellel, and been very
impressed.  It seems to be a full featured WP and has a very friendly
interface.  The Character Styles and Paragraph Styles are particularly
useful for switching between languages in the same document.  Downside:
does not read/write Word.  However it does read text and RTF files, and
also exports to them.  So some compatibility could be managed.  And
it's not that expensive at all.

http://www.redlers.com/mellel.html

Hope this helps!

  Carly J. Born, Carleton College
  Academic Computing Coordinator for Foreign Languages & Literature
  [log in to unmask] | 507-646-7010 | www.carleton.edu