LLTI Archives

November 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:42:09 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 14:14:45 -0500
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7319.1 Wording to discourage illegal copying (!)

------------------
In the IALLT Management Manual, this is suggested:

Attention Patrons!

When you borrow materials, you agree to:

Honor copyright laws and not copy any materials loaned to you
Not allow anyone else to use or copy such materials without written
permission from the FLRC
Comply with current loan regulations, including but not limited ot types
and amounts of materials borrowed
Return materials by due dates

Failure to comply can result in loss of FLRC privileges and/or
administrative withdrawal or a hold on registration.

Copyright information is available on request
_______________________________

This is more for a lab which loans materials whereas the request was for
a notice aiming at students who might abuse the lab facilities to copy
materials illegally in-house. But you can imagine changing the wording
to fit the situation: "When you use the lab, you agree to: Honor
copyright laws and not use our equipment to copy protected materials of
any kind." etc.

I am struck by a few points.
--Making explicit a contract between the student and the lab regarding
the use of the lab.
--The possibility of having the University itself enforce a punishment;
clearly this would have to be negotiated with the registrar.
--Having copyright information available, which means  a more extended
written summary of rights and fair use, and/or a well-informed staff.

Judy Shoaf