LLTI Archives

November 2003, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:59:42 EST
[Response 1]
--- Forwarded Message from Chris Meyer <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:52:52 -0500
>From: Chris Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7338 Diacriticals/accents with Windows machines

------------------
Some years ago I would give a program called Accent Composer to language
faculty who asked me this exact same question--I haven't tried it since
Windows 98, but their website
(http://www.kovcomp.co.uk/acompose/index.html) claims that it will work
with all Windows versions from 98 up to 2003.

Personally, I don't understand how everyone can't keep those tables of
extended ASCII codes in their memory.... </sarcasm>

Hope that helps!

-Chris

[Response 2]

Henry,

In any version of Windows since 98 you can access accented characters from
all Western European languages via the US-International language setting.
Unlike the various national keyboards, the US-International maintains the
QWERTY layout and uses dead-key combinations to input the accents. A couple
of free virtual keyboards are also available for inputting accents. I prefer
the Microsoft Visual Keyboard, but I believe it only works on XP. Jack

--
Jack Burston, Ph.D.
Director

Phone: (585) 475-3156
Fax: (585) 475-7120
WWW: http://fltc.rit.edu/burston/jack_rit00.htm

[Response 3]

> Accents in French, Spanish, and German are a piece of cake with the
> Mac OS,
> but with Windows, the only solutions I know are incredibly
> cumbersome...

If you're using Word, use the Insert > Symbol menu command--same in Mac
and PC--to access most Extended ASCII characters or use the keyboard
shortcuts available when the US-International keyboard is selected.

Details and a picture of the keyboard you can print and hang up:

http://www.yale.edu/multilingual/westerneuropean/win98/usage.html

-John
John de Szendeffy
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph                      617.353.7957
fx                      617.353.6195
lab                     http://www.bu.edu/celop/mll/
personal                http://people.bu.edu/johndesz/

[Response 4]

I find the International Keyboard (English-International) handy. It's a
QWERTY keybaord with a few "dead keys"--in particular the single/double
quote key. You press the "dead key" and then the letter to be modified.
If you want to type the symbol normally associated with the key, you
press the key and then the spacebar (or a key it is not set up to
modify). Thus you can type
don't
exactly as you would normally, but
j'ai
requires an extra keystroke after the apostrophe or it will come out jái.

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida

[Response 5]

Hi, Henry.

If you change the computer's keyboard setting to the
American International keyboard, you have only to type the
accent followed by the letter; for example, apostrophe ("/')
followed by e gives é.  An umlaut is made by holding the
shift button while you type the  "/' key, followed by the
letter. This will work with any software used on that
computer; it also works via email.

The different versions of Windows alter the keystrokes
slightly, particularly for things like ¿ and ¡. In Win
2000 you hold down Ctrl and Alt while you type the key that
has ?//.

The only (slight) problem with the American International
keyboard is that if you want to type the actual character,
ie., the apostrophe, it does not appear until after the next
keystroke.  So to get ' you have to type the "/' key,
followed by the space bar.  If you want the 'followed by a
vowel, you have to type the " /' key, then the space bar
before typing the vowel.  Once you learn to add the extra
keystroke, it is very easy.

We have installed this keyboard on all the pc's in our lab.
We teach language students and other students how to use the
keyboards and have prepared and laminated small instruction
sheets for the foreign language students to use.

Good luck!   Leslie Graul

[Response 6]

we have heinle writing systems software for both
french, systeme-d and spanish, atajo.

the students find them very useful.

using this software at the student stations in the fl lab, they
can enter their documents and save their files to a floppy, zip, etc.

taking that file to any pc with windows, that file is opened as a
'word' document.

"Linda Rae Richie" <[log in to unmask]>

[Response 7]

We have been using 3-D Keyboard for two years with W98 and W2K applications
and it works well. You can have the layout on the screen (small) or
completely minimize the layout once you have it memorized. You can also get
orange "skins" for your keyboards for several languages.

3-D Keyboard: http://www.fingertipsoft.com/3dkbd/
Speedskin: http://www.speedskin.com/html/language_conversion.asp

We could not use the Windows solution because those are both user and
location specific and too many steps for the students to navigate to get
the language they needed. The above combo is pretty simple and has been
successful.

Marty

[Response 8]

I assume others have answered this, too.  I use the US-International
keyboard for some flavors of Windows.  Not as nice as Macs, but in the
same city, if not the same ball park.

[Response 9]

Try the US-INternational Keyboard in the Windows Control Panel. That is what
I use and it is easy.
apostrophe plus vowel or double quote plus vowel etc. are the usual
keystrokes.

Directions at
http://www.nadn.navy.mil/LangStudy/international_keyboards.html
http://orion.neiu.edu/~flanglab/accents.htm

Much easier than ASCII codes but it sometimes conflicts with Microsoft Word
commands like in the case of the upside down exclamation point which is done
by CTRL-ALT 1

Good luck.
Tom Griffin

[Response 10]

I think this is what you're looking for.  Windows uses codes.

http://lrcnt.fas.harvard.edu/Resources/Documentation/accents.htm

Todd