LLTI Archives

November 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 16:56:45 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Carol Reitan" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 13:18:52 -0800
>From: "Carol Reitan" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7300 Chinese and Windows XP(!)

For those of you who have experienced the same problem, and for those of
you who may yet experience it, here is the way to tell your computer not
to interpret everything as Chinese if you don't want it to.

There is a setting in the Regional Language Options area in the Control
Panel that must be changed. (I have no memory of having changed this
previously, but....)

1) Go to the Control Panel and choose "Regional Language Options".
2) Click on the tab entitled "Advanced".
3)Choose "English" where it says, "Choose a language to match the
language version of the non-Unicode programs that you want to use." (My
machine said "Chinese" here.)
4)You'll be prompted to re-start your computer.

Thank you for the help I received off-list.

Carol

_______________________
Carol H. Reitan
Language Center/Instructor of French
City College of San Francisco
R205, 50 Phelan Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94112
(415)452-5555
_____________________________
http://fog.ccsf.edu/~creitan
_____________________________

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/27/03 01:05PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from "Carol Reitan" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:40:29 -0700
>From: "Carol Reitan" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Chinese and Windows XP

Hello,

I need help! I've been working with Chinese input in Window XP. We've
used the Chinese support in Windows  here in our lab ever since IE v.5
and in Word in Office 2000.Now that we're running XP, we've set up all
our lab machinese with Chinese support for the web and for MS Office.
Recently I've been trying to do more with Word and Chinese to help our
instructors, who use NJStar, but who can't get help with setting up
their network printers to print properly since our IT dept. will not
support it. If they all use Word, then that's supported, right?
Anyway,
I've been researching the functions of Chinese in WindowsXP for a
couple
of weeks, now and an amazing thing has happened to my work computer.
It
thinks I want to use Chinese all the time. I removed all Chinese using
the Regional and Language Settings of the control panel. I've also
"unclicked" the box that allows one to extend language support to all
applications. The fonts are still there, and that's the problem! Every
web site I access shows Chinese encoding - all diacritical marks
appear
as Chinese characters. Apostrophes, and other punctuation marks show
as
Chinese characters as well. I will change the encoding from the "View"
menu in I.E., but that only works for one webpage at a time. Ever page
view requires that I change the encoding. Even the Microsoft
screensaver
 (the one about security- our IT dept. made it the default) shows
Chinese characters instead of quotation marks. The worst part is this.
When I update a page in Dreamweaver, any diacritical marks that were
previously French, German, Spanish, etc. show up as Chinese
characters.
Then I have to redo the page and reinsert all the diacritical and
punctuation marks, or else they show up either as Chinese characters
or
as a variety of "garbage characters". I must have changed some setting
somewhere, unknowingly. Does anyone have any idea how I can change the
computer back, without reinstalling the whole operating system? Any
suggestions?

Carol