LLTI Archives

November 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:26:15 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 14:55:41 -0700
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To:  Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>,        Margo Burns <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7323 Windows<->Mac Chinese/Japanese WP

------------------
I consider Unicode to be the best approach to cross-platform
text-encoding compatibility, especially if the texts will be needed
in the future.  No surprises there.  Transcoding Asian text files
from earlier and proprietary encodings into Unicode seems like a good
first step, since the resulting Unicode files will be the most
portable, flexible, and platform independent.  I don't know what
tools are out there for converting other encodings of Asian text to
Unicode, but I bet someone on this list does.  I wonder if the
current version of MacLinkPlus would help.

Once you have the text in Unicode, then you need a word processor
that supports Unicode, and a font with the needed characters.  The
mystery, on the Mac side, is when Microsoft will make its Word for
Mac Unicode capable.  In the meantime, Nisus Writer Express for OS X
handles Unicode nicely, and can open, read, and write files in the MS
Word (.doc) format.  Note that Nisus Writer Express doesn't yet have
all the wonderful features of Nisus Writer, which only runs on Mac OS
9, 8, and 7 (or Classic under OS X) and isn't Unicode compliant.

As a daily use OS X word processor, I have been using Mellel
<http://www.redlers.com/mellel.html>.  It costs $25 for a single
copy, with volume pricing available, which helps preserve our tiny
Lab budget.  This is about half the price of Nisus Writer, and much
less than Word.  Mellel is updated frequently, and has a responsive
development team.  So far, it has enough features to satisfy most of
my needs.  It might be worth a look.  Currently, Mellel can't open
.doc files, but it can handle .rtf.

While MS Word for the Mac can't edit, display or print Unicode text,
it can open .doc files containing Unicode text, and resave them in
other file formats.  This leads to a handy trick for a Mac user who
needs to work on a .doc file which contains Unicode text.  Open the
file in Word for Mac, and either save the file as .rtf, or copy and
paste the text into a Unicode compatible word processor, such as
Nisus Writer Express, Mellel, or even TextEdit (which comes with the
Mac OS).  Even though the text in Word may look like meaningless
little boxes or dashes, after you open the .rtf file (or paste the
text) into a Unicode-capable word processor, the text should be
properly visible and editable.  Assuming you have, and apply to the
text, a font containing the needed Unicode characters. In effect,
Microsoft Word is used as a file-opening utility for other word
processors.  Satirical comments are left to the reader.  The trick
has come in handy for me on a number of files and attachments.

Derek

> --- Forwarded Message from "Margo Burns" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>> Subject: Windows<->Mac Chinese/Japanese WP
>> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 19:23:33 -0500
>> From: "Margo Burns" <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Can anyone point me to resources about cross-platform compatibility
> for word processing documents created in various Windows programs
> (Word, China Star, etc.) and *anything* on the Mac (Word, Nisus,
> etc.)?  Our Chinese and Japanese teachers are facing going all Mac
> next year, and I want to make it as smooth a transition as
> possible, knowing that they have plenty of materials on their
> current Windows machines.  Once Microsoft makes Word
> Unicode-compliant, this will probably become a moot point, but
> until then, I am collecting as much information as I can.
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> Cheers,
> Margo
>

> Margo Burns
> Director of The Language Center
> St. Paul's School
> Concord, NH 03301
> (603) 229-4665

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, MSC03-2100
Ortega Hall Rm 129, 1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]