LLTI Archives

November 2003, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:26:24 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Michael Heller <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 18:09:06 -0500
>From: Michael Heller <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7318 Experience with NetOp?
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Dear Jeff,

We're using NetOp in our Translation Laboratory (a facility where we do
translation and interpretation training and teach computational
linguistics and upper level language courses including composition).
We are not using NetOp as an audio Language Lab type tool, but will try
that use in the Spring including collection of student-recorded audio
files.  Version 3 of NetOp has just shipped and promises to control
websites that can be visited by students:  no more www.aim.com during
class!

We've been very happy with NetOp in our own wireless laptop facility.
Group work is quite easy and students can collaboratively help one
another work through difficult translation tasks or shell programming.
The same type of active, collaborative learning can extend to other
courses, even lower level language courses.   Danware has a very
liberal evaluation policy prior to purchase and their technical support
has been exemplary.  The only problem we've had relates to our network
environment and classes that span different subnets and/or are attached
to multiple network switches.  The solution has been to license
Danware's NameServer which uses WINS naming to join as a class machines
that are on different network segments.

Regards,

On Nov 4, 2003, at 16:56, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from "Jeff Ruth" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>> Subject: Experience with NetOp?
>> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:45:27 -0500
>> From: "Jeff Ruth" <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: <[log in to unmask]>
>
> -------------------
> Can anyone provide feedback on the use of NetOp software in a
> computerized language lab setting? My university bought it for other
> labs and has offered it to us for language use.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jeff Ruth
> Asst. Prof. of Spanish
> East Stroudsburg University (PA)

Michael Heller
Director of Language Learning Technology
College of Humanities & Social Sciences
Montclair State University
1 Normal Ave (CHSS/DI-287B)
Upper Montclair, NJ 07043-1699