LLTI Archives

October 2003, Week 5

From:
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:48:26 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Peggy" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Peggy" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #7311 Language "Lab" or "Resource Centers" Regained
>Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:47:32 -0800
>Disposition-Notification-To: "Peggy" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Reasons for our Language Learning Center:

1.  We sell "service."  It is a double-edged sword because we get blamed
when the technology messes up, but we also receive a lot of praise for
the complete customer service we offer.  This includes a technician to
run the complicated oral assessment software in our language classroom
lab and/or to teach mini-workshops to the students on popular software
such as PowerPoint.  It also includes staff who show the students how to
access and use the software their teachers assign.  Additionally, we
digitize materials for instructors once we have permission, we help
instructors create multimedia materials, and we teach staff development
workshops.

2.  We emphasize purchasing new technology that is not available to our
students via the Internet.

3.  In addition to language software, we offer VHS videos, DVDs, audio
cassettes, sign language interpreting stations, video recording
stations, high quality microphones for digital recordings, satellite TV
for various languages, staff multimedia development stations, and audio
and video digitizing stations for staff.  This includes a 36 station
oral language assessment classroom by reservations only that is 70%
occupied at all times and a student drop-in lab with over 90 stations.

I mention all of this because we have been so successful at growing our
attendance and staff multimedia project lessons that we expect to expand
our square footage by about 35% in the next year.  What we find is that
for every instructor who removes the language lab requirement from their
class because of media available with the textbook or online, we always
manage to replace that with a new instructor who is just discovering the
services available in our lab so that we stay pretty steady in our
numbers.  Our biggest dip came when the French Department removed the
language lab requirement for a year.  However, after that year, they
were able to see a serious decrease in the average grade of their
students, so they returned to the lab requirement even though all the
homework media was available online.

Thanks,
Peggy C. Marcy