LLTI Archives

October 2003, Week 5

From:
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:40:51 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:56:09 -0500
>From: Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7307 most important trend in lang tech (technical &      pedagogical)
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hi Samantha!

You raise two very interesting questions.

1. Regarding technology, I don't see any major hardware innovations coming
down the pipeline in the next couple of years, leastwise nothing that is
likely to make it into the language classroom. Analog technology is on its
last leg, hanging on only in the case of the VCR. The one hardware change
that may start to make its appearance would be re-recordable DVD players
replacing VCRs.

I believe the major technological changes we'll see will be on the software
side. Specifically, I see facilitative (as opposed to tutorial) applications
having an increasing impact on the language classroom in the coming years.
Which is to say, the use of computer technology as a tool rather than an
explicit teacher. The facilitative use of the WWW as a resource base is
already quite common in the foreign language curriculum. Use of presentation
software (e.g., PowerPoint) is another ready example. I see the use of
audio, video, graphics and web page editing increasing significantly as
students are called-upon to work with media as part of the language
curriculum, e.g., dubbing video clips, creating short video segments,
producing portfolios, etc..

2. Pedagogically, the trend towards more task-based approaches is almost
certain to accelerate. In part, this is being driven by learner-centered,
constructivist, SLA theories. But it is also very much supported by recent
hardware/software improvements which lend themselves well to the kinds of
facilitative applications described above. The Unicode support now built in
to the OS of W-XP and Mac OSX has opened the floodgates for computer usage
with any language. Bundled software (e.g., Windows Movie Maker, i-Movie)
make basic video editing easily accessible to faculty and students.
Likewise, free or inexpensive audio editors (e.g., Audacity, Amadeus)
provide the same facility for sound.

What's nice about making such predictions is that it doesn't take much
crystal ball gazing. Just looking around to where innovative language
teaching is is now give a good indication of things to come.  Jack

--
Jack Burston, Ph.D.
Director

Phone: (585) 475-3156