LLTI Archives

October 2003, Week 5

From:
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:40:55 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Jeff Magoto <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:35:44 -0800
>From: Jeff Magoto <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: LLTI Digest - 28 Oct 2003 to 29 Oct 2003 (#2003-146)
>Sender: Jeff Magoto <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Samantha,
Apart from a deep mistrust of proprietary solutions, my favorite trends to be
explored combine the
connectedness and collaboration of the personal video conferencing in Apple's
"Knowledge
Navigator" demo of the late 80's
<http://www.billzarchy.com/clips/clips_apple_nav.htm> with
some of the ides on computer "smartnes" expressed in today's "Ideas Unlimited,
Built to Order"
<http://nytimes.com/2003/10/30/technology/circuits/30idea.html>.  William
Gibson's piece on
"truthfulness highlighting" could be rendered as the ultimate FL comprehension
aid.
--jeff

>Hi everyone,
>
>As part of a new cycle of strategic planning for my unit at Duke, I've been
>giving a lot of thought to current trends of interest for language
>technology, in the both the technical realm and pedagogical arenas.
>
>I'd like to draw on the collective creativity and foresight of the LLTI
>community to get your input on what some of these trends might be. If you
>would be so kind as to provide an answer to one or both of the following
>two questions, I would greatly appreciate it.  I welcome replies off-list,
>but my guess is that other LLTIers would be interested in the responses as
>well. I'll send a summary message once the discussion ends.
>
>Note: I am using the phrase "language classroom" to include all potential
>aspects of language teaching & learning.
>
>1. What do you see as the most important technical trend that may have an
>impact on the language classroom in the next 1-3 years?
>
>(for example, 2-3 years ago one might have answered wireless computing)
>
>2.What do you see as the most important emerging pedagogical trend in the
>language classroom that is made possible by technology?
>
>I look forward to reading your replies!
>
>Best,
>Samantha
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Samantha Earp, Director
>Foreign Language Technology Services
>Duke University

>End of LLTI Digest - 28 Oct 2003 to 29 Oct 2003 (#2003-146)

Jeff Magoto
Director, Yamada Language Center
1236 University of Oregon
541-346-4319