LLTI Archives

October 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:08:43 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from "Jose C. Rodriguez" <[log in to unmask]> ---
> We have been seeing this happen as well, but seems to be limited to
> computers that we have imaged using Carbon Copy Cloner. Might be
> coincidence, but computers where we have installed the OS and language
> support manually to not exhibit this behavior. I have been inquiring with
> Apple about this issue and I'll let you know what I find out.

I use CCC to prepare Apple Software Restore (ASR) images (.dmg) to allow lab clients to
NetBoot off a server and then download the image via <bombich.com> NetRestore, and this
problem dogged me as well whenever I made keyboard layout / input method changes to the
pristine image.  After much sleuthing, I found that the changes were being stored in the
ByHost folder: /Library/Management/mac001/Library/Preferences/ByHost/
com.apple.HIToolbox.<MAC address>.plist, so when the image was restored to other machines
with their own MAC address, the changes did not work.  I replaced /Library/Preferences/
com.apple.HIToolbox.plist with the contents of the customized .plist, and then the cloning
worked.  Following is the script I wrote to automate this process.  Before using it in a production
environment, it should be tested and also understood by the person using it.  Paste the following
into a blank AppleScript and run while logged in as a local machine admin. NOTE 1: Subsitute
the actual MAC address for "<REPACE_THIS_WITH_YOUR_MAC_ADDRESS>".  NOTE 2:
Substitute your local admin password for "<REPLACE_THIS_WITH_YOUR_PASSWORD>" --
OR BETTER YET, use the code that allows root access without storing your password in a non-
encrypted file (sorry, I don't recall the method right now).

--script begins next line
tell application "Terminal"

activate

do shell script "sudo cp /Library/Management/mac001/Library/Preferences/ByHost/
com.apple.HIToolbox.<REPACE_THIS_WITH_YOUR_MAC_ADDRESS>.plist /Library/
Preferences/com.apple.HIToolbox.plist" password "<
REPLACE_THIS_WITH_YOUR_PASSWORD>" with administrator privileges

        -- You might need the following line; test and see.
        close window 1

-- The following line is optional, and can be modifed for your environment. It's always a good idea
to give the user useful feedback.

display dialog "Keyboard Input menu stuff fixed." buttons ["Thank you Bob"] default button 1

end tell
-- script ended with previous line

Bob Majors
Language Learning Center