LLTI Archives

October 2003, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:08:53 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:41:31 -0400
>From: Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Virtual keyboard displays
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Dear Colleagues,

Thanks for the pointer to the virtual keyboard facility within Windows-XP.
In using it to access the US-International keyboard from within Word I have,
however discovered a problem with the Ctrl + Alt sequence (which is used to
produce ñ and ç for example). Because this key combination is already used
in Word for other purposes it gets intercepted before the virtual keyboard
can use it to produce the desired characters.  Fortunately, this can be
easily fixed within Word by using the Insert/Symbol/Shortcut key function to
assign Ctrl + Alt + n to ñ (or + c to ç for example). Once this is done for
one symbol, all preset Ctrl + Alt sequences within Word are disabled which
then allows the virtual keyboard to access them. Jack

--
Jack Burston, Ph.D.
Director

Phone: (585) 475-3156