LLTI Archives

October 2003, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:26:20 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
> Actually, there is a law against rigging a VCR to skip or ignore
> the  region codes on DVDs:
>
> The Digital Millennium Copyright Act, Public Law No. 105-304, 112
> Stat.  2861 (Oct. 28, 1998) (also referred to as the "DMCA") was
> passed by  Congress in October 1998

The DMCA is a breakthrough piece of legislation, in that it allows
corporations to invalidate state and federal laws, and international
treaties and conventions, without prior notice, review or restraint.
Manufacturers can eliminate explicit rights of citizens on their own
corporate volition, and can pressure other companies to go along via
threat of DMCA prosecution, as has happened with the DVD-ROM drives
in computers.

I follow and enforce standard copyright agreements in my job, but I
publicly refuse to follow the DMCA.  I support the Electronic Freedom
Foundation and the many other groups and individuals who are fighting
this law.  I am hoping that the DMCA is modified or repealed before I
get fired or put in jail, but the odds are against change in the
short term.  Aware of the risks, I feel this is a place I want to
take a stand for our rights as citizens and against corporate and
governmental abuse of our rights.

Like Ed, I've got my wind-up Victrola ready for the next generation
of DVDs.

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, MSC03-2100
Ortega Hall Rm 129, 1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]